Search

Results:
Tag: Pennsylvania
Clear
  • Emsworth Locks & Dams Major Rehabilitation Project

    Emsworth Locks and Dams are located on the Ohio River immediately downstream of the City of Pittsburgh. The main channel dam and locks are located at river mile 6.2 and the back channel dam is located at river mile 6.8. The project creates the navigation pool for the City of Pittsburgh. The structural components of the Emsworth Locks and Dams are the oldest of any project on the Ohio River, dating back to 1919 to 1922 and 1935 to 1938 when Emsworth Dams were constructed. The Emsworth locks, consisting of a 110’ wide by 600’ long main chamber and 56’ wide by 360’ long auxiliary chamber, are the oldest on the Ohio River System and are in need of additional maintenance work to keep them operating safely until permanent improvements are implemented.
  • Lower Monongahela River Project

    Locks and Dams 2, 3 and 4 on the Monongahela River in Allegheny, Washington and Westmoreland counties in southwestern Pennsylvania are the three oldest currently operating-navigation facilities on the Monongahela River. These locks experience the highest volume of commercial traffic on the entire Monongahela River Navigation System and the pools created by these facilities provide industrial and municipal water, and are popular with recreational boaters.
  • Shallow Land Disposal Area

    The Shallow Land Disposal Area (SLDA) site, encompassing 44 acres of privately-owned land, is located approximately 23 miles east-northeast of Pittsburgh in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania. It is on the right bank of the Kiski River, a tributary of the Allegheny River, near the communities of Apollo and Vandergrift. Radioactive waste disposal operations were conducted between 1960 and 1970 at the site.
  • Superior Steel Site

    The former Superior Steel Site, located in Scott Township, Pennsylvania, processed uranium metal in support of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission’s (AEC) fuel-element development program from 1952 to 1957. The site was also licensed from 1957 to 1958 to receive thorium metal for processing and shaping. The primary AEC operations performed at the Superior Steel Site consisted of salt bathing, rolling, brushing, shaping, cutting, stamping, and coiling of uranium metal. Records indicate that primarily natural uranium was processed at the site, along with limited amounts of enriched uranium. Recycled uranium from reprocessed spent nuclear fuel may also have been processed on site.