National Historic Landmark
The first lock at the Soo carried freight canoes around the rapids on the Canadian side of the river. American forces destroyed it during the War of 1812. For the next 40+ years, cargo had to be carried around the rapids. Since the opening of the State Lock on the U.S. side in 1855, there have been locks in continuous operations here. The entire Soo Locks facility is on the National Historic Register.

Download Image: Full Size (2.13 MB)
Photo by: US Army Corps of Engineers |  VIRIN: 891226-A-A1424-1008.JPG