Chick Lock

Find a Project

Search

Results:
Tag: Buffalo District
Clear
  • Harshaw Site

    The former Harshaw Chemical Company, located at 1000 Harvard Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, was contracted by the Manhattan Engineer District and later the Atomic Energy Commission to support the Nation’s early atomic weapons program. From 1944 to 1959, various forms of uranium were processed at the Harshaw Site and sent to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, for further processing. Based on a request from the State of Ohio and the site owners, the Department of Energy determined that this site should be reviewed for possible inclusion in the Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) and on June 3, 1999, referred this action to the Corps of Engineers.
  • Joslyn Manufacturing Site

    The Joslyn Manufacturing Site is located in Fort Wayne, in Allen County, Indiana. From 1943 until 1946, the former Joslyn Manufacturing and Supply Company, currently known as the Fort Wayne Steel Corporation, processed uranium billets into metal rods under subcontract with the University of Chicago. Documentation also exists that indicates that Joslyn continued to roll uranium rods until at least 1949 for the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC). The primary operations performed by the former Joslyn Manufacturing and Supply Co. consisted of tempering, hot rolling, quenching, straightening, cooling, grinding, abrasive cutting, waste burning, and threading of natural uranium billets into metal rods.
  • Luckey Site

    In 1942, a magnesium processing facility was built at the Luckey Site on U.S. government land. National Lead operated the facility for the U.S. government during World War II until 1945. In 1949, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) built a beryllium production facility at the site where Brush Beryllium Company (later Brush Wellman) produced beryllium oxide, beryllium hydroxide, and beryllium pebbles. Beryl ore is a natural product of the earth and may be excavated with rocks containing varying concentrations of radium-226, thorium-230 and uranium. The chemical processes to extract beryllium also separates other elements, including radium, thorium and uranium. This resulted in products with more concentrated beryllium, and incidentally generated waste streams with enhanced concentrations of radium, thorium and uranium. The products were then shipped to other facilities for further processing.
  • Niagara Falls Storage Site

    Beginning in 1944 the Niagara Falls Storage Site (NFSS) was used by the Manhattan Engineer District (MED) to store radioactive residues and wastes from uranium ore processing. Radioactive wastes and residues continued to be brought to the site for storage until 1952. In 1982 the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) began cleanup and consolidation of the radioactive wastes and residues in an earthen containment cell constructed on the property, which was completed in 1986.
  • Painesville Site

    The Painesville Site, located in Painesville, Ohio, was a former magnesium production facility, operated by the Diamond Magnesium Company under contract to the Federal Government. From 1951 to 1953, Diamond Magnesium received approximately 1,650 tons of radioactively contaminated scrap steel from the Lake Ontario Storage Area (now the Niagara Falls Storage Site), to be used in the magnesium production process.
  • Seaway Site

    The Seaway Site, located in Tonawanda, New York, was operated as a landfill from 1930 to 1993, accepting a variety of municipal, commercial, construction, and industrial wastes. Nearby, in the 1940s, the former Linde Air Products Division of Union Carbide processed uranium ores under contract to the Manhattan Engineer District (MED). The mill tailings from the FUSRAP-related activities were transported from the Linde Site to the former Haist Property, now known as the Ashland 1 Site. During the mid-1970's, Ashland Oil constructed oil tanks on the Ashland 1 property. During the construction, materials containing radioactive residues were removed from the area and transported by Ashland Oil to the Seaway landfill and what was the Ashland 2 Site and used as cover or grading material. This material was also placed in what is now known as Seaway Areas A, B and C.
  • Superior Steel Site

    The former Superior Steel Site, located in Scott Township, Pennsylvania, processed uranium metal in support of the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission’s (AEC) fuel-element development program from 1952 to 1957. The site was also licensed from 1957 to 1958 to receive thorium metal for processing and shaping. The primary AEC operations performed at the Superior Steel Site consisted of salt bathing, rolling, brushing, shaping, cutting, stamping, and coiling of uranium metal. Records indicate that primarily natural uranium was processed at the site, along with limited amounts of enriched uranium. Recycled uranium from reprocessed spent nuclear fuel may also have been processed on site.
  • Tonawanda Landfill Vicinity Property

    In 1992, the Department of Energy (DOE) designated two properties, a portion of the Town of Tonawanda Landfill and the mudflats area, now known as the North Youngmann Commerce Center, together as a Formerly Utilized Sites Remedial Action Program (FUSRAP) single vicinity property of the Linde Site, which is also located in Tonawanda, New York. The designation was based on the DOE's discovery of radioactive material at the site that appeared to have similar characteristics to material found at other FUSRAP sites. However, no record has been found indicating that the vicinity property was ever involved in past Manhattan Engineer District or Atomic Energy Commission activities.
Chick Lock

Through deeds, not words, we are BUILDING STRONG®